Woke up at 4:25am, got ready and drove 25 minutes to the hospital. It was 28 degrees again...
Doctors Community Hospital....
Lena and I chuckled on the way to the hospital...it's located on "Good Luck Road".
We could use some of THAT...
About 5:50am - The older lady at surgery intake desk was VERY concerned that we had Daisy with us. She explained, "You can't have the dog here....cuz of the COVAC!" I'm pretty sure that she meant COVID, but it struck me that she was gonna have to have a better argument than that ... or... at least sound like she knew what she was talking about.
Lena went back and they prepped her over about an hour....and then they let Daisy and I in ....
Daisy KNEW something was up. Even though Lena was very calm...
I was starting some minor mom tears. Daisy hopped up through the bars to snuggle Lena....
The anesthesiologist came in first and described the different medications in great detail, she had what sounded like a German accent (alot of "zee" this and "zee" that)...and I couldn't understand some of what she was saying. But I did get the gyst of it...and the best was when she explained that there would be TWO anesthesiologists in there to monitor because, "...sometimez I needz to peez..." I wasn't sure I heard that right.
Then Dr. Narayanan and Dr. Henderson came in. Dr. Narayanan is a lovely woman that is very upbeat and focused. Dr. Henderson was assisting AND the beauty was that he was the origional doctor that Lena had attempted to see in the neurology practice! So even though he wasn't covered or the main surgeon...she got to benefit from his expertise during the surgery anyway! Dr. Henderson is a bald, earnest man who said, "I got my COVID vaccine a few days ago! You WON'T be getting it from ME!" Both doctors spent time answering questions and making us feel good about what was about to happen in surgery. Both are very knowledgable about EDS.
Dr. Narayanan to me: "You work in healthcare? Are you a nurse? You seem very comfortable...."
Me: "Heh. Heh. This is NOT our first rodeo, we are used to this. But, yes, I have some experience in healthcare....."
Surgery notes: Dr. Narayanan explained that the surgery should take about 3 hours. They would fuse the C1/C2 vertebrae in Lena's neck, using her own aspirated bone marrow and two screws. "Using her own wonderful cells will be so nice!"
Dr. Narayanan said, "...then she can go back to become a nurse and help us teach more people about EDS!" She went on to explain that so many people do not understand what EDS sufferers go through. Lena even added, "yes, when I explain the surgery or get imaging...the healthcare people always ask what accident I got in for my neck to be like this!" There was NO accident or injury that caused these issues. Simply her genetic defect causing connective tissue elasticity and hypermobility in the cartilidge and joints.
Dr. Narayanan explained that Milena's neck didn't only have laxity when she nods up and down, but also when she turns her head side to side. To have both is unusual, but common in those with EDS. She then confirmed Lena would have a wound drain in the hospital and wear a neck brace for at least two weeks post-op.
About 7:30am -Then they wheeled her OFF. I moped my way out the door and figured that driving somewhere to get breakfast would kill a little time. Sometimes, when you use Google Maps to find a Tropical Smoothie Cafe...you get there 10 minutes later and there IS NO Tropical Smoothie Cafe. But by then you really WANT Tropical Smoothie Cafe and so you take a chance and map the next closest one. THAT one was real and I got my Berry Acai Boost (with pea protein) and my Peanut Butter Banana Flatbread. Incidentally, I discovered these yums the LAST time Lena had major surgery (in Connecticut...you can read about THAT surgery at Milena's MALS surgery minutes... (milenasmalsminutes.blogspot.com)
10:00 am - Then I drove back to hospital with about 90 minutes left to wait. I walked in, got settled, and Surgery Intake COVAC-concerned lady marched right over...."You know you can't be here, right?" Hmmm. Obviously I did not, or clearly I was going some serious hospital waiting room type of ROGUE on this fateful day.....
Since I knew I couldn't go back to the hospital until after she got out of recovery, which could be another 2 to 3 hours, I went back to the RMH and took a nap. I needed it. So did Daisy. We got up 90 minutes later and waited and waited.
12:30pm - By now, Lena had been in surgery almost 5 hours and I was gettng a little concerned. I called the hospital and COVAC lady (who undoubtedly still had her concerns about my reckless waiting room assumptions) assured me she'd call or text once Lena was out.
12:55pm - I prepared to head back over, and then Dr. Narayanan called. "Everything went beautifully! The CON-struct is perfect! Just how I wanted it! She's not awake yet but she did very well." WHEW.
I was comforted, but I had already had enough mom-ish stress to need to stop at Kentucky Fried Chicken for some comfort food. I knew it would be a while until I could see her AND then I'd be stuck in her room after that so I figured I'd load up right then. CHICKEN POT PIE. Oh yeah. Wait, no, TWO CHICKEN POT PIES. Drove right into the hospial parking lot and ate them BOTH. The weather was gorgeous and I had the windows rolled down with Daisy snoozing in the back.
2:00pm - Pretty soon I "neededz to peez" and so Daisy and I snuck BACK INTO the surgery waiting area with reckless abandon. Deed done, we returned to the car. I figured I could unload and get into the room by then...but the front lady at the Main Hospital Entrance had the same type attitude as Surgery Intake COVAC lady. One eyebrow raised, she was like, "Ummm. Is she actually IN HER room?" Um, no, not yet. Sigh. Back out I go.
Looked up a dog park. 3 miles away, PERFECT. Drove there, saw a big sign that said "YOU NEED A PERMIT TO USE DOG PARK"... figured I'd continue my rogue rule breaking streak and entered anyway. Daisy was on fire. I took off her service dog vest and she turned into a ball chasing freak. There were so many other cute doggies there, YAY! (I'm pretty certain that most of the Washington D.C. police officers and the 15,000 incoming National Guard Troops wouldn't be too concerned about my little "animal control permit" offense....)
About 2:45pm - THEN the hospital nurse (the one that had ASSURED me that she'd give me 30 minutes notice before Milena was taken up to her room...) called. "She's in her room NOW!" Mmmmm. Thanks nurse who LIES. Daisy and I hightailed it back to the hospital, carted all Lena's stuff to the main entrance. Main Entrance lady by then, had figured out I was legit (I didn't menton the recent dog-park-permit-offense)...and I was on my way to the 4th floor.
AND here she was:
Super sleepy, but answering questions. Pain "not too bad, at a 6"... She has a PCA controlled pain pump with Morphine for now. She has the neck brace on, and so I haven't seen the incision yet. The drain is working well, which is good. She fumbles a bit for the pump but she is getting adequate pain relief.
Daisy immediately jumps ON MILENA'S bed. I shewed her off but GEEZ. Daisy gives me this look:
![]() |
| This is obviously YOUR fault and I will hurt you while you sleep..... |
About 4:15pm - Lena flipped to her side and about gave me a heart attack. She isn't sure how to eat, but really isn't hungry and just wants to sleep anyway. They've given her Benadryl to combat any itching from the Dilaudid (during surgery) or the Morphine (which can cause nausea).
Lena's face is swollen, but the anesthesologist had warned us about this. She was flipped on her stomach for the actual surgery. We were also warned she may have some skin breakdown around her temples, due to an appliance they use during the surgery. So far I don't see anything like that.
She kind of jumps up every little bit and tries to find a more comfortable position, but really she always decides flat is best and just rolls from one side to another.
5:45pm - I get her to take two sips of a Mango Smoothie and that's it. She gives me one more pic for the day...
9:20pm - nurse comes in to give night time meds. One of them is gonna knock her OUT. I plan to head over to the RMH with Daisy to get a good nights sleep.
Yesterday Lena gently said, "Mom, I know you want to spend the night but....you snore. LOUDLY." Sigh. Point taken. Also, the night nurse said she is "allergic" to dogs. (I actually know from my experience working in the assisted living facility that alot of african immigrants detest or are afraid of dogs...) So, I'll quit the helicoptering and head out. Until tomorrow's update.....









No comments:
Post a Comment